NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Design, fabrication, test, and delivery of an adjustable lift sling and custom-designed shipping container.
Newton designed and delivered a highly functional adjustable lift sling for JWST with a custom-designed shipping container within a time-sensitive frame for thermal vacuum testing.
Newton designed, fabricated, tested, and delivered a custom shipping container and secondary adjustable lift sling (JALS) used to precisely orient the James Webb Space Telescope Pathfinder during lifting and integration operations for thermal vacuum testing.
Newton has been a partner of the JWST program since inception. We provide specialized products, solutions, and engineering services for it's development.
As the world's most powerful space telescope ever built, JWST is a high-priority collaboration between NASA and its international partners that will revolutionize our understanding of deep space.
• Designed, fabricated, tested, certified, and delivered the JWST Adjustable Lift Sling (JALS) and custom-designed container in five months;
• Performed multiple critical lifts using JALS to conduct precision orientation adjustments during testing and integration operations;
• Met safe working load requirements with a 50% margin (17,700 lb with up to 1.5 degrees of tilt);
• Qualified JALS to NASA's stringent standards including: ASME BTH-1, NASA-STD-8719.9, NASA-STD-5005B, and ASME B30.20;
• Designed, programmed, calibrated, and tested the JALS' control system. The shackle position is repeatable to 0.0001” and angular tilt is controllable to 0.01 degrees precision.